It’s coming up to the most wonderful time of the year… Not Christmas, but Book of the Year Season.
From around mid-November, newspapers, shops and book-bloggers start wheeling out lists of their favourite titles published that year.
I thought it would be more fun for Bert’s Books Book of the Year to be decided by you – so I’ve picked a list of 32 books for us to whittle down to just one.
Most of the 32 have been picked by me, but I’ve filled up the list with suggestions from folk on Twitter who responded last week with lots of fab books.
Peruse the list below to decide on your favourites, then head over to Twitter using the hashtag #BertsBOTY to join in the fun.
I’ve already randomly split the 32 titles into 8 groups of four…
- Those People – Louise Candlish
- Blood Orange – Harriet Tyce
- Bone China – Laura Purcell
- Sleep – C L Taylor
- The End of Time – Gavin Extence
- Proximity – Jem Tugwell
- The Garden of Lost and Found – Harriet Evans
- Breaking and Mending – Joanna Cannon
- The Closer I Get – Paul Burston
- I Know Who You Are – Alice Feeney
- The Madonna of Bolton – Matt Cain
- Ducks, Newburyport – Lucy Ellmann
- The Two Lives of Louis and Louise – Julie Cohen
- The Truths and Triumphs of Grace Atherton – Anstey Harris
- Queenie – Candice Carty-Williams
- The Testaments – Margaret Atwood
- Past Life – Dominic Nolan
- Paul takes the form of a mortal girl – Andrea Lawlor
- The Hunting Party – Lucy Foley
- The Passengers – John Marrs
- Things in Jars – Jess Kidd
- Lies, Lies, Lies – Adele Parks
- You Will Be Safe Here – Damian Barr
- The Chain – Adrian McKinty
- Take Nothing With You – Patrick Gale
- The Warehouse – Rob Hart
- The Vanished Bride – Bella Ellis
- The Dutch House – Ann Patchett
- Girl, Woman, Other – Bernadine Evaristo
- The Long Call – Ann Cleeves
- Sweet Sorrow – David Nicholls
- Daisy Jones and the Six – Taylor Jenkins Reid
The first round of voting will be open until Wednesday 13th November 2019 and you can join in here